Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mahogany Shuttle

For our Iron Anniversary, I got Shana an enameled cast iron pot (because it had to be iron), but the present I was really excited about was this little pair of stick shuttles. Shana recently scored a loom, so I'm working on outfitting her with the necessary accoutrements. I wasn't exactly sure what these were for when I started making them, but a visit to Susan the master weaver set me straight. It was my first time working with mahogany and it was a dream. I tried to do as much as I could with hand tools, so I resawed and planed it by hand and shaped the arched faces with a cabinet scraper. However, the thought of cutting out the mouths with a coping saw and filing them smooth made my head hurt, so here I used a scroll saw and a spindle sander. The little oval hole with narrow saw kerf was my addition to the standard design; a place to hold the end of the thread as you start wrapping it. Next, I'll tackle the warping board.

No comments:

Post a Comment