Monday, May 31, 2010

Tapping the Reserves

As we get deep into the work of the house, the days are long and we're maxing out our energy reserves, getting up early and working until we can't work anymore. The blog becomes another item on the to do list, buried under rows of more urgent tasks. Coming back from L.A. I had hoped to spend a day or two decompressing and reflecting on our trip before diving back into the construction zone, but a call from Evan said that he and Hyo Jung were ready to come up and help finish the electric work, so we were right back in the thick of it. Now, on this Memorial Day, while the rest of the world is out camping, I've decided to go out for breakfast and start on the house a bit later. I'm peering across the street at the lumberyard trying to figure out whether or not they intend to take the day off. Somewhere there's a holiday bucket of drywall mud for me, even if it means going to the Dumb Hippo (that's code for Home Depot). I have a long post I want to write about L.A., and maybe I'll still get to it. But for now, here's a few pictures:

Shana with Cousin Jeff, who was our Pasadena host, on the back porch of the Gamble House

This picture basically sums up Mark and Shana's friendship

Hiding in the bougainvillea at the Schindler House

Mark in his Hollywood apartment giving his best bad guy look

A rare look at the bones of a perfect house surrounded by other perfect houses in a perfect neighborhood.

My dust mask awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment